Signal processing group studies methods of processing information bearing signals for a particular aim. Signals can be one or multi-dimensional; deterministic or random. The goal can be restoration of a noise corrupted image, compression of a video sequence, generation of alternative viewpoint of a scene, optimal methods of decision under uncertainty (detection and estimation) and efficient usage of resources such as bandwidth, computation or time etc. (What is Signal Processing?, Signal Processing and Machine Learning )
Signal processing tools are widely applied. Some applications are multimedia signal processing (speech, image and video processing), control theory, communications (statistical signal processing, detection/estimation theory), biomedical applications, radar-sonar problems and more.
Signal processing group at METU is specifically working on multimedia signal processing (all aspects), radar signal processing (including SAR imaging and STAP techniques), spectrum estimation techniques, direction of arrival estimation methods.
- Information for New Graduate Students (updated on Feb. 16, 2016)
- Akar, Gözde Bozdağı (Image, video processing)
- Alatan, Aydin (Image, video processing,pattern recognition,machine vision)
- Baykal, Buyurman (Statistical signal processing)
- Candan, Çağatay (Statistical signal processing)
- Çiloğlu, Tolga (Statistical signal processing, Speech and Acoustic Signal Processing)
- Kamışlı, Fatih (Image, video processing)
- Koç, Arzu (Spectrum estimation, direction-of-arrival estimation)
- Orguner, Umut (Statistical signal processing, Kalman filtering, target tracking)
- Öktem, Sevinç Figen (Statistical signal and image processing, inverse problems, computational imaging, optical information processing)
- Özkan, Emre (Statistical signal processing, estimation theory, sensor fusion, Monte Carlo methods)
- Tuncer, Engin (Sensor array and multichannel signal processing)
- Ünver, Zafer (Signal representation theory, statistical signal processing)
- Vural, Elif (Statistical signal and image processing)
Emeritus Faculty Members
- Severcan, Mete (Image processing, radar signal processing, communications)
Description of Signal Processing Courses
EE 230 : Introduction to probability. Required background for statistical signal processing.
EE 301 : Introduction to signal representation and transforms. Foundations
EE 306 : Random processes. Undergraduate level introduction, but fairly complete.
EE 430 : Digital Signal Processing. THE course.
EE 497 : Special Topics: Real-Time Applications of Digital Signal Processing
EE 503 : Statistical Signal Processing and Modeling
EE 504 : Adaptive Filtering (Pre-requisite: 503)
EE 505 : Wavelets, Filterbanks, Time-Frequency Distributions (Advanced)
EE 531 : Probability and Stochastic Processes
EE 583 : Pattern Recognition
EE 584 : Machine Vision
EE 603 : Spectrum Estimation (Advanced)
EE 604 : Sensor Array Signal Processing (Advanced)
EE 633 : Speech Processing
EE 634 : Image Processing
EE 636 : Video Processing
EE 732 : Probabilistic Graphical Models
EE 746 : Radar Signal Processing
EE 798 : Theory of Remote Image Formation
EE 7001 : Advanced Statistical Signal Processing (Pre-requisite: 503)
- 2016, Turgay Koç, T. Çiloğlu, Nonlinear Interactive Source-Filter Models for Speech, “Computer Speech & Language”, 36, p. 365-394.
- 2015, Özlem Tuğfe Demir, T. Engin Tuncer, Optimum Discrete Transmit Beamformer Design. “Digital Signal Processing”, 36, p.57-68.
- 2015, Özlem Tuğfe Demir, T. Engin Tuncer, Optimum Discrete Phase-Only Multicast Beamforming With Joint Antenna And User Selection In Cognitive Radio Networks. “Digital Signal Processing”, 46, p.81-96.
- 2015, T. Ardeshiri, K. Granström, E. Özkan, U. Orguner, Greedy Reduction Algorithms for Mixtures of Exponential Family. “IEEE Signal Processing Letters”, Cilt 22.
- 2015, T. Ardeshiri, E. Özkan, U. Orguner, F. Gustafsson, Approximate Bayesian Smoothing with Unknown Process and Measurement Noise Covariances. “IEEE Signal Processing Letters”, Cilt 22.
- 2015, Fatih Kamisli, Block-Based Spatial Prediction and Transforms Based on 2D Markov Processes for Image and Video Compression. “IEEE Transactions on Image Processing”, 24, p.1247-1260.
- 2015, Burcu Karasoy, Fatih Kamisli, Multiview video compression with 1-D transforms. “Signal Processing: Image Communication”, p.14-28.
- 2015, C. Candan, Fine resolution frequency estimation from three DFT samples: Case of windowed data. “Elsevier Signal Processing”, 114, p.245-250.
- 2015, C. Candan, S. Koç, Direction finding accuracy of sequential lobing under target amplitude fluctuations. “IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation”, 9, p.92-103.
- 2015, H. Emrah Tasli, Cevahir Cigla, A. Aydin Alatan, Convexity constrained efficient superpixel and supervoxel extraction. “Signal Processing: Image Communication”, 33, p.71-85.
- 2015, Medeni Soysal, A. Aydin Alatan, Joint utilization of local appearance and geometric invariants for 3D object recognition. “Multimedia Tools and Applications”, 74, p.2611-2637.
- 2015,Seckin Ozsarac, Gozde Bozdagi Akar, Atmospheric Effects Removal for the Infrared Image Sequences. ” IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing”, 53, p.4899-4909.
- 2014, Ahmet M. Elbir, T. Engin Tuncer, “Far-Field DOA Estimation and Near-Field Localization For Multipath Signals,” Radio Science, 49, p.765-776, 2014.
- 2014, Tansu Filik, T. Engin Tuncer, “2-D DOA Estimation in case of Unknown Mutual Coupling for Multipath Signals,” Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, p.1-18, 2014.
- 2014, M. B. Guldogan, D. Lindgren, F. Gustafsson, H. Habberstad, U. Orguner, “Multi-target Tracking with PHD Filter Using Doppler-Only Measurements,” Digital Signal Processing, 27, p.1-11, 2014.
- 2014, C. Fritsche, U. Orguner, L. Svensson, F. Gustafsson, “The Marginal Enumeration Bayesian Cramer-Rao Bound for Jump Markov Systems,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 21, p.464-468, 2014.
- 2014, K. Granström, C. Lundquist, F. Gustafsson, U. Orguner, “Random Set Methods: Estimation of Multiple Extended Objects,” IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, 21, p.73-82, 2014.
- 2014, K. Granström, U. Orguner, “A New Prediction for Extended Targets with Random Matrices,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 50, p.1577-1589, 2014.
- 2014, Fatih Kamisli, “Recursive Prediction for Joint Spatial and Temporal Prediction in Video Coding,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 21, p.732-736, 2014.
- 2014, Turgay Koc, Tolga Ciloglu, “Automatic Segmentation of High Speed Video Images of Vocal Folds,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, 2014.
- 2014, C. Candan, H. Inan, “A unified framework for derivation and implementation of SavitzkyGolay filters,” Signal Processing, 104, p.203-211,, 2014.
- 2014, U. Orguner, C. Candan, “A Fine-Resolution Frequency Estimator Using an Arbitrary Number of DFT Coefficients,” Signal Processing”, 105, p.17-21, 2014.
- 2014, Y.Kalkan, B.Baykal, “Frequency Based Target Localization Methods for Widely Separated MIMO Radar,” Radio Science, 2014.
- 2014, Y.Kalkan, B.Baykal, “Multiple target localization & data association for frequency-only widely separated MIMO radar,” Digital Signal Processing, 2014.
- 2014, Cevahir Çigla, A. Aydin Alatan, “An efficient recursive edge-aware filter,” Signal Processing: Image Communication, 29, p.998-1014, 2014.
- 2014, Medeni Soysal, Berker Logoglu, Mashar Tekin, Ersin Esen, Ahmet Saracoglu, et.al., “Multimodal concept detection in broadcast media: KavTan,” Multimedia Tools Applications, 72, p.2787-2832, 2014.
- 2014, Burak Özkalayci, A. Aydin Alatan, “3D Planar Representation of Stereo Depth Images for 3DTV Applications,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 23, p.5222-5232, 2014.
- 2014, Ozan Sener, Kemal Ugur, A. Aydin Alatan, “Efficient MRF Energy Propagation for Video Segmentation via Bilateral Filters,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 16, p.1292-1302, 2014.
- 2013, Taylan Aksoy, T. Engin Tuncer, “Sectorized Approach and Measurement Reduction for Mutual Coupling Calibration of Non-Omnidirectional Antenna Arrays,” Radio Science, Vol.48, No.2, pp.102-110, 2013.
- 2013, Ahmet M. Elbir, T. Engin Tuncer, “Calibration of Antenna Arrays For Aeronautical Vehicles on Ground,” Aerospace Science and Technology, 30, p.18-25, 2013.
- 2013, C. Lundquist, K. Granström and U. Orguner, “An Extended Target CPHD Filter and a Gamma Gaussian Inverse Wishart Implementation.,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, 7, 2013.
- 2013, K. Granström and U. Orguner, “On Spawning and Combination of Extended/Group Targets Modeled with Random Matrices,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 61, 2013.
- 2013, Fatih Kamisli, “Intra prediction based on markov process modeling of images,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 22, p.3916-3925, 2013.
- 2013, Oktay Sipahigil, Tolga Çiloğlu, “Comments on Detection of signals of unknown duration by multiple energy detectors,” Signal Processing, 2013.
- 2013, C. Candan, “A Low Complexity Two-Stage Target Detection Scheme for Resource Limited Radar Systems,” IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronics Systems, 49, p.594-601, 2013.
- 2013, C. Candan, “Analysis and Further Improvement of Fine Resolution Frequency Estimation Method From Three DFT Samples,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 20, (2013), p.913916, 2013.
- 2013, C. Candan, “Capacity of Zero-Outage Scheme Under Imprecise Channel State Information,” IEEE Communication Letters, 17, p.127-130, 2013.
- 2013, C. Candan, “An Upper Bound on the Capacity Loss Due to Imprecise Channel State Information for General Memoryless Fading Channels,” IEEE Communications Letters, 17, p.1348-1351, 2013.
- 2013, C. Candan, U. Orguner, “The moment function for the ratio of correlated generalized gamma variables,” Statistics & Probability Letters, 83, p.2353-2356, 2013.
- 2013, H. Emrah Tasli, A. Aydin Alatan, “User assisted disparity remapping for stereo images,” Signal Processing: Image Communications, 28, p.1374-1389, 2013.
- 2013, Cevahir Cigla, A. Aydin Alatan, “Information permeability for stereo matching,” Signal Processing: Image Communications, 28, p.1072-1088, 2013.
- 2013, O. Serdar Gedik, A. Aydin Alatan, “3-D Rigid Body Tracking Using Vision and Depth Sensors,” IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 43, p.1395-1405, 2013.
- 2012, K. Granström, U. Orguner, “A PHD Filter for Tracking Multiple Extended Targets Using Random Matrices,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 5657-5671, Nov. 2012.
- 2012, K. Granström, C. Lundquist, and U. Orguner, “Extended Target Tracking Using a Gaussian-Mixture PHD filter,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 3268-3286, Oct. 2012.
- 2012, P. Skoglar, U. Orguner, D. Törnqvist, and F. Gustafsson, “Road Target Search and Tracking with Gimballed Vision Sensor on an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle,” Remote Sensing, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 2076-2111, Jul. 2012.
- 2012, U. Orguner, “A Variational Measurement Update for Extended Target Tracking with Random Matrices,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 3827-3834, Jul. 2012.
- 2012, P. Skoglar, U. Orguner, D. Törnqvist, and F. Gustafsson, “Pedestrian Tracking with an Infrared Sensor using Road Network Information,” EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, vol. 2012, no. 26, 2012.
- 2012, Ufuk Sakarya, Ziya Telatar, A. Aydin Alatan Dominant Sets Based Movie Scene Detection. “Signal Processing”, 92, p.107-119, 2012.
- 2012, Ersin Esen, A. Aydin Alatan, Comparison of Forbidden Zone Data Hiding and Quantization Index Modulation. “Digital Signal Processing”, 22, p.181-189, 2012.
- 2012, T. Aksoy, T. Engin Tuncer, Measurement Reduction for Mutual Coupling Calibration in DOA Estimation. “Radio Science”, 47, p.1-9, 2012.
- 2012, B. Gurakan, C. Candan, T. Çiloğlu, “CFAR processing with switching exponential smoothers for nonhomogeneous environments,” Elsevier Digital Signal Processing, 22, p.407-416, 2012.
- 2012, C. Candan, Y.B. Erol, “Conjugate directions based order recursive implementation of post-Doppler adaptive target detectors,” IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, 6, p.577-586, 2012.
- 2011, U. Orguner and F. Gustafsson, “Target Tracking with Particle Filters under Signal Propagation Delays,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 2485-2495, Jun. 2011.
- 2011, M. Bshara, U. Orguner, F. Gustafsson, and L. Van Biesen, “Robust Tracking in Cellular Networks Using HMM Filters and Cell-ID Measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 1016-1024, Mar. 2011.
- 2011, C. Lundquist, U. Orguner, and F. Gustafsson, “Extended Target Tracking Using Polynomials with Applications to Road-Map Estimation,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 15-26, Jan. 2011.
- 2011, Fatih Kamisli, Jae S. Lim, 1-D Transforms for the Motion Compensation Residual. “Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on”, 20, p.1036-1046, 2011.
- 2011, M. Oguz Bici, G. B. Akar, Improved prediction methods for scalable predictive animated mesh compression. “Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation”, 22, p.577-589, 2011.
- 2011, A. Gotchev, G. B. Akar, T. Capin, D. Strohmeier, A. Boev, 3D Media for Mobile Devices. “Proceedings of the IEEE”, 39, p.708 – 741, 2011.
- 2011, Eren Akdemir, Tolga Ciloglu, Bimodal automatic speech segmentation based on audio and visual information fusion. “Speech Communication”, Volume 53, Issue 6, p. 889–902, 2011.
- 2011, Tansu Filik, T. Engin Tuncer, 2-D Paired Direction-of-Arrival Angle Estimation With Two Parallel Uniform Linear Arrays. “Int. Journal of Innovative Computing, Information and Control”, 7, (2011), p.3269-3279, 2011.
- 2011, Serkan Karakütük, T.Engin Tuncer, Channel Matrix Recursion For Blind Effective Channel Order Estimation. “IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing”, 59, p.1642-1653, 2011.
- 2011, Medeni Soysal, A. Aydin Alatan, Joint Utilization of Appearance, Geometry and Chance for Scene Logo Retrieval. “Computer Journal”, 54, p.1221-1231, 2011.
- 2011, Ersin Esen, A. Aydin Alatan, Robust Video Data Hiding Using Forbidden Zone Data Hiding and Selective Embedding. ” IEEE Trans. Circuits Systems Video Technology”, 21, p.1130-1138, 2011.
- 2011, C. Candan, “An Accurate and Efficient Two-Stage Channel Estimation Method Utilizing Training Sequences with Closed Form Expressions,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 59, No. 12, p.3259-3264, Dec. 2011.
- 2011, C. Candan, “Digital Wideband Integrators with Matching Phase and Arbitrarily Accurate Magnitude Response,” IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems II, Vol. 58, No. 9, p. 610-614, 2011.
- 2011, C. Candan, “A Method For Fine Resolution Frequency Estimation From Three DFT Samples,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 18, No.6, p. 351-354, June 2011.
- 2011, A. Coşkun, C. Candan, “Transmit Precoding for Flat Fading MIMO Multiuser Systems with Maximum Ratio Combining Receivers,” IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, Volume 60, Issue 2, p. 710-716, 2011.
Posted by dsp metu on 10.01.2017 under Uncategorized